Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2023

Anger? Righteous anger? What's the difference?

 

These are my personal reflections. The ideas are not new but my thoughts are original.

Again, anger, if focused well gives the bearer of this emotion the grace of healing. Anger in of itself is not an evil emotion. It can be utilized in sinful ways but the emotion is a very natural response. It tells us when our boundaries are being infringed upon. When we are experiencing an injustice. This is the key for survivors of childhood trauma, particularly sexual abuse in childhood. Because of the secrecy involved with the crime and the methods of shame employed in silencing, much of the time the emotions, which are nurtured as a result of these ‘crimes’ people cannot immediately express and process. Therefore, these emotions become trapped within the body. In so, the memories become repressed. Thereby, our memories, our emotions are trapped. These emotions, these memories, though we do not remember them, will still have a weighty influence on our behavior, our attitude, our beliefs. I would even venture to say that people who were not abused as children (if it were at all possible) are impacted by this effect of shaming as well. Everybody has a little repressed anger. The degree of anger we experience will be proportional to the amount of injustice we have experienced. So, how do we heal? It is a process. I have to admit, for years I believed that it was a lifelong journey to healing. It’s not. It truly is not. Jesus can provide the healing, as quickly as the blink of an eye. But. We have to heal these memories, particularly the emotions that are trapped. Otherwise, we are like little children led by Jesus. Yes, we are led by Jesus. But our true selves are still hindered. Our actions still guided, in small part, by the accumulation of emotion in our own body. Our bodies are leading us, by the accumulation of emotion within. As opposed to our spirits leading our bodies. Yes, we need express our anger. There are healthy outlets for our anger. Some draw. Some paint. Others jog. Even others box in a ring. These are all healthy outlets. As a matter of fact, this is most often an extremely integral piece of the puzzle. Before survivors realize about their abuse, some are lethargic, others have unexplained physical problems. These realizations of what they have endured give them an infuriating sense of drive and a passion for themselves. A passion to care for themselves and to improve their own life. They see, for the first time, the love they were deprived of and the effect of the abuse and they say, ‘hey, you cannot do that to me! I am alive and I am not going to let you hurt me.’ It is extremely empowering to receive these memories. As traumatic as they are. It is a great mercy. For many survivors, it offers a reason to live. A reason to fight. The point is: anger is essential to healing. It gives us the will to fight. To make change. Anger helps us to have a look at our situation with clarity. And indeed, righteous anger very much improves focus and clarity. Sometimes for the first time. No, my friends. Anger is not a sin. When I first realized what happened to me, I became incensed. I wondered at how an adult could do that to a child. I wondered at them. I remember screaming for hours. Placing an empty chair in the middle of a room and screaming at it. Writing letters of confrontation to my abusers, which I never sent and burned. It wasn’t until I finished my first phase at the place of healing that I was given the great grace to participate in, when Jesus found me that I began to heal. I was so wounded. I was very angry. I am grateful I was healthy enough to restrain my anger. Even still, in spite of this anger, the secrecy and shame in my case ran so deeply that I still felt the obligation to protect them. When I began healing, I began to see my abusers as more than simply what they had done to me. I began to see them through a bigger lens. And especially, I began to wonder, quite probably, at what they themselves must have endured to think it was normal. After a while, I started to fast. To work out. I ate simply vegetables and water. I was reading the Bible hours a day. Then I started having realizations about how I, myself have affected others in my life. All of the sudden my rhetorical question of how could an adult do that to another person, came tumbling down and became unrhetorical. This, my friends, is a mercy. It is indeed a mercy to have the knowledge within of knowing your potential to hurt and be hurt. It is blinding to live thinking your actions have no effect on people. For me, my anger was not really healed until I spent two years at a Catholic community. I haven’t made this connection until now. I am realizing that I needed healthy examples of true masculinity and love. Wow. It makes me weep. Most of the people I knew growing up were incredibly explosive and unpredictable. But, in this, this realization that I was capable and had done, of hurting others, put my life into perspective. In this, is a great missing part, an integral part of the puzzle of our humanity. Meditate on this. Anyways, anger can be incredibly productive, incredibly healing and incredibly empowering. It is such a powerful force. Having the capability to create a passion for life within us that builds empires. Or it has the capability, if repressed, if undealt with, to give us arthritis. To give us asthma, cancer, ulcers. Mental health. Anger is the key. This is not new. Common sense is rarely learned in a book. For me, this is like learning spelling in kindergarten. I can say it all I want. I have never had the opportunity to express the repressed emotions in my body. Like I said, without truth, I can forgive. I cannot heal. Truth is also an integral part of healing. But not necessary in all cases. You see the change in me. You see how I have dropped almost simultaneously and immediately every single coping mechanism I developed that was sinful. I trust in Jesus and cast upon Him every emotion in my body. If anything, I want you, my survivor brothers and sisters (the world) to know that healing is most certainly possible. It is certainly and most wonderfully attainable. Jesus gives that power. Jesus is the final key. If you are willing, open your hearts to Jesus.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment