Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2016

Notes:

I saw a meme a couple of days ago online that suggested that we look to history to explain away the increasing terrorism our world is facing at the moment. Its suggestion was that at every point in a religion’s development, there have been people who misinterpreted the doctrines of that religion and committed atrocities in the name of the religion. I can think of a few examples of violence in the name of Christianity. The Crusades occurred hundreds of years ago. Hitler was not a Christian. And the amount of disturbances caused by Christian terrorist groups (they are around), are extremely marginal. Even today. It’s difficult to escape a reasonable understanding of the fact that it is 2015. Shouldn’t we have learned something from our violent past? I will stand very passionately by my belief that Islam is a good religion, filled with people who only want to love and be at peace. It’s astonishing that religious extremism is such a problem. It’s not only ISIS. There is no excuse for this. “Teach me your way, Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, spouting malicious accusations. I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord” (Ps. 27:11-14). God is about love and justice. Not hate. This is about love and justice. Not hate. Good things happening to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment